The gaming parent's dilemma: watching other kids play adult games - htxt.africa

edited November 2015 in Site discussion

imageThe gaming parent's dilemma: watching other kids play adult games - htxt.africa

Why do I want to say something when I see friends letting their kids play CoD?

Read the full story here

Comments

• I don't agree with parents allowing kids to play games that is not rated for their age.
    I don't allow my 11yr old nephews to play teen games and up.
    Then parents wonder why their kids turn out fckd up.
  • I don't see much point in Games being taken serious. What's in it for Gamers?

Apparently a lesbian walking simulator is a serious artsy fartsy game, but I would rather visit the dentist than play it. And I suppose a game like Shadow Warrior that has you hack and slash thousands of demons while making clever remarks is not a serious game, but it is also lots of fun to play.

Perhaps the act of playing violent video games acts as a form of catharsis on the player, something that would not be possible with a socalled serious game. Whereas the playing of a serious game like Sunset acts as a form of intellectual masturbation for purple haired hipsters, allowing them to engage in a group illusion of superiority over the plebes who enjoy GTA5.
  • @{GG_Number9} Isn't that like saying we have Adam Sandler, so why bother with Shakespeare? I enjoy GTA and Dear Esther equally and for very different reasons, but if someone prefers one or the other that's fine too.

Or to use a different analogy, I'm not a big poetry reader - despite having a degree in English literature to my name. I'd much rather read a John Scalzi novel. I don't feel intellectually inferior to anyone who does love poetry, though, and I'm glad there are people who make it their life's work to study poetry because what they learn makes other things better too.

To put that another way, a lot of games designers on mainstream games we all enjoy play "artsy fartsy" experimental games and that influences the way they make their own work too.
  • I became an uncle when I was 15, and having younger ones around did change how I personally play games and what I'd want them to see. Something tame like Rocket League or a LEGO games? Sure they can watch, but when I switched to some violent shooting games the little ones definitely had to leave the room. 

Before that I believed I'd let them watch any games I was playing; my first exposure to games was watching my cousin play Diablo 2 when I was extremely young.

Point being: your stance on this changes greatly as you get older and have younger kids around (and not even nessaserily your own children).